9/7/09

Time for a Hover Craft

It seems that everything I own has decided to stop working all at once. For instance, this damn old computer(which insisted that part of this post be underlined) and my latest car, the Pontiac Sunfire. That got me to thinking about all the cars I have owned. It all started when we were teens and my dad let us use an old ford. It was about a 1954 or so and had been a cop car before he got it. My sister and I painted it baby blue and we thought we were very cool.
When I finished college and had a job I went to James Wentworth Dodge in Meadville to look for a car. He showed me a lot of neutral nice little cars, but I spotted a radical lime green car parked behind the dealership. It was love at first sight. The color was new and wild for the time and the sleek, built into the body door handles were very new. I bought it for $2,700. I still remember when I headed to the coast in it. It was a 1970 Dodge Challenger. I noticed lately that Dodge is using the color again.

1970 Dodge Challenger

When the Challenger wore out after about ten years. I bought a Nissan. It was a great little car and I drove it for a long time which prompted one of my nieces to comment that I'd be the last person still driving a car when the rest of the world was riding in hover crafts.

One Of Two Nissan's
When I got divorced and returned to the Coast for a second time I bought a Pontiac Fiero. It was a two seater with flip up headlights, a trunk that would maybe hold a purse and the motor was in the back. It was fun to drive, but had a tendency to run hot.

Pontiac Fiero
After the Fiero I bought a Chevy Hatchback. My frist and last Chevy. What a piece of shit it was.That one lasted about a year. It was a lemon from the beginning and I traded it for another Nissan.

Chevy Hatchback
I drove that Nissan for over ten years. The floor on the passenger side rusted through and I had to put a piece of ply board down to keep water from coming in on rainy drives. When the trunk refused to shut I finally traded it in on a Dodge Neon. I loved my little white Neon. It was dependable for another ten years of driving. I finally sold it and inherited my daughters Pontiac Sunfire when she bought a new car.

1990 Dodge Neon
Last month the Sunfire died. So for the first time since I was a teen I do not own a car. It's a little strange. I don't miss the payments on a car, or the insurance or the tags or the upkeep. But I'm about for ready some wheels.
Hey Rikki, are they selling Hover Crafts yet?

1990 Pontiac Sunfire




1 comment:

  1. If it is nice outside this weekend we will have to go ride around and car shop...Halley

    ReplyDelete